POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OT: GIMP tip : Re: GIMP tip Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GIMP tip
From: Peter Popov
Date: 18 Mar 2004 03:21:50
Message: <j4mi505o8bqtsbjue6dl9ndq1rp1esd3l0@4ax.com>
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:42:51 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>Internet Explorer? Outlook Express - I noticed when writing that post on
>Windos, actually - the window in which I types was independent.

Not the same thing. Imagine how Outlook Express would look if the
groups pane, the threads pane and the message pane were all separate
floating windows and the menu was, for example, in the threads pane
(but some simple menu is also located in the groups/servers pane).

>The same goes for recent versions of Office. And M$ Developer Studio can
>only have one project open per instance, so it is a hybrid (it also
>uses windows in a window).

Yeah, but a single project is contained within a single window. Modal
dialogs etc. do not really count because they make sense in any
context (rootless or not).

>The point has much less to do with windows inside windows, but with the
>location of the menu bar.

Precisely what other PS/OSX users have pointed. I am very much aware
of that fact and this has always been a big pro of MacOS design. I
personally don't like it simply because I almost don't use menus (at
least not with the mouse), but I have witnessed with my own eyes what
difference it makes for the average user.

>Anyway, as any usability discussion in these groups in the past lead
>nowhere other than showing surprising amounts of ignorance of the validity
>of objective studies versus personal perception, I try to avoid any detailed
>discussion of the subject.

Unless you think I have manifested said ignorance, I would gladly take
this over email if you please so as I really want to get some more
perspective on the issue.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg